My Life Plastered on the Internet

Monday, June 4, 2012

Dead Space, A Disguised Love Story

This year, I just got back into gaming since my last video game console, the Gamecube. I'm no longer sporting the Nintendo brand, but now playing on the Xbox 360 (Add my Gamertag, iamthebella, yo.) Let's just say I am now a gamer chick who loves Dead Space, Skyrim, Resident Evli, Borderlands, and other games. The most recent game that I finished was Dead Space and Dead Space 2. Let me just say it is one of the most creepiest games out there. With the design of the dark Atmosphere in the Ishimura and Titan Station and the violent music you are kept sitting on the edge of your seat for the whole game. It is a truly haunting game and it is highly recommended.

But that is not the sole purpose of this post. I'm not just telling you about the awesome storyline it follows or how Issac Clarke is trying to destroy The Marker that began all the trouble in the first place. I wanted to talk about how Dead Space is a modern day love story.

[SPOILER ALERT]

In Dead Space, Issac Clarke  had undergone tragic events aboard the Ishimura, one of those losing the love of his life Nicole Brennan. All of Issac's efforts in Dead Space was to find Nicole and make sure she was safe, but he ultimately found out she had committed suicide. In Dead Space 2, haunted by the guilt of not being able to save Nicole, he hallucinates about her and discovers that in order to save himself and Ellie (another survivor) he must put the past behind him and let go of his guilt about Nicole and destroy the Marker. In DS2 Issac puts Nicole behind him as she is the last boss of the game, and is later rescued by Ellie. Earlier in the storyline, Ellie and Issac were helping each other survive the Necromorph outbreak. The two found a gunship and while Ellie was investigating, Issac launched the ship saving Ellie and continuing the mission alone. He saved Ellie because he cared for her and didn't want to see her getting hurt. He saved her because he couldn't save Nicole. I don't know about you, but this is LOVE. He saved her life. Anyways, back to the final boss, as you beat the boss, Issac is about to let himself die but Ellie returns...
After Isaac destroys the Marker, he receives a transmission from Ellie, asking if this was his big plan, destroy the Marker then let himself die. Isaac replies (yet again) with "I'm full of bad ideas." Ellie responds, saying she won't leave him behind no matter what. Ellie then commences to crash the gunship through the Sprawl's roof and she manages to escape with Isaac before the station explodes, destroying both the Marker and the Necromorphs (Dead Space Wiki).

It is apparent that the two care for each other enough to save each other. After being haunted by Nicole for so long, Issac moves on and meets a new love interest. I get the love story vibe.I really enjoy these characters and I'm looking forward to Dead Space 3. Speaking of Dead Space 3 I saw the trailer and Both Ellie and Issac are in it. They are separated and it seems to appear like Issac is looking for her. In part of the trailer, the co-op character tells him that Ellie is not apart of the mission and they're only there to destroy the Marker. Clearly Issac cares enough about Ellie to find her and save her. It's love guys!

Final thoughts, Dead Space is a love story in disguise. I don't think many people have caught on to the emotional context Issac faces in the game. His love for Nicole and getting past his guilt. Meeting Ellie and making things right by saving her. I understand why one can't imagine this... You're probably just playing the game to beat it and you are scared out of your wits to even think about the characters and context of the storyline (haha). It also might just be because I'm a female gamer, and think about these things. I'm just curious to see if anyone else thought this and agrees.

Let me know what you think.

-Bella

3 comments:

Alek said...

I agree with you. It is pretty sad what Isaac has to go tru. Just to save humanity and his mind/love. I miss Hammond from Dead Space 1. Hurray for a female gamer. <3

Gabriella said...

I agree with you about Hammond... He was a cool character.

What's your blog? I'd like to visit. :D

dubstepgaming94 said...

I really love the story of ds2 how he get in tuch with him self and have to face nicole to live and the end really gave me a shock when the marker just used nicole to get isaacs mind

waiting for ds3:D
like your blogg hurray for female gamer's:D